Friday 22 June 2012

Dickens miniature sheet

Yesterday, I popped into a little post office to see if they had any of the miniature sheets. I had forgotten to ask about it when I went on Tuesday for the other stamps in the issue. I was in luck, and purchased the 4-first class stamp miniature sheet, featuring illustrations from Nicholas Nickleby, Bleak House, Little Dorrit and A Tale of Two Cities. The quote beneath says, "No one who can read, ever looks as a book, even unopened on a shelf, like one who cannot."
Charles Dickens had visited my area of Wales. He watched trials at Beaumaris courthouse, on the Isle of Anglesey.  This photo is taken from Beaumaris Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
This is part of the castle.
Another view of the courthouse, which is now open as a museum. 



1 comment:

  1. Ooh, those stamps are beautiful! Even at this scale I recognized Nicholas Nickleby!

    And any excuse for a photo of a gorgeous castle....

    ReplyDelete